Thursday, April 4, 2013

Anterior Deltoid Shoulder Pain: Infraspinatus Trigger Points

Infraspinatus (black) and Corresponding Pain (in red dots)
[Image credit: www.round-earth.com]


I've suffered from recurring pain in the anterior deltoid (front shoulder cap) region for many months now.  After icing and mobilizing were no longer enough to fight the crippling tightness and tension, I finally got an MRI on my left shoulder and discovered small, partial tears in the supraspinatus, infraspinatus, and bicep tendon.  With my right shoulder flaring up soon after my left shoulder calmed down, I have a feeling these injuries are symmetrical and are the cause of both my front shoulder caps - or anterior deltoids - having consistent pain.

What the MRI revealed was of great interest to me as I had assumed the point of pain was the point of injury; that I had somehow injured my front shoulders.  Instead, the imaging reminded me how our body works as a system, and that pain 'over here' is often caused from injury 'over there'.

A working hypothesis of my physical therapist is that the injuries to my biceps and back shoulder muscles caused the anterior deltoids to work overtime, causing tons of inflammation and putting greater strain on a muscle group that is usually supported by other, larger muscles.

It's taken me awhile to compile research and fully understand what's going on with my shoulders, both in what happened with initial injury and how to best rehab them to full recovery.  I read a brief post this morning about the infraspinatus muscle group and wanted to share it in case anyone else suffers from similar pain or injury.

http://www.triggerpointtherapist.com/blog/infraspinatus-trigger-points/infraspinatus-trigger-points-the-magicians-of-shoulder-pain/

The link above provides a brief overview about the infraspinatus muscles (think near shoulder blades) and how they work.  What I liked about this information is how it described common complaints for infraspinatus muscle injuries, such as "inability to reach behind the back" and "tenderness in the biceps" - both of which I suffer from and describe to physicians who've treated me.

Enjoy and take care of your shoulders - prevent injury and rest/recover when injury is first noticed.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this info. I read the link and it seems right on to my symptoms although I have not had an MRI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your information .Your site a informative site. Pain is very harmful.
    We have a nice blog site. We can get provide all information to solve your pain.
    To get new information visit here shoulder pain Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi what about shoulder pain and a knot down the left side going to the thumb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi what if your having left shoulder pain and a knot above muscle the pain goes into the left thumb. When the cold air hits the pain becomes worst?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very significant Information for us, I have think the representation of this Information is actually superb one. This is my first visit to your site. Shoulder Blade Pain Relief

    ReplyDelete